Thursday, May 22, 2008

What Do Others Think?

While reading through my classmates comments on William Struck and E.B. White's, The Elements of Style, I came to the conclusion that most of my classmates did not enjoy this text as much as Joseph William's, Style: Toward Clarity and Grace. In fact, Michelle stated in her blog, "My first impressions of this book, was that I couldn't believe I paid money for it." I have to disagree with Michelle about this book. It think that everyone can use a bit of a refresher course every now and then. We all have moments we have to stop and think, "Should we put an apostrophe after the 't' in the possessive form of 'its'? or, should we use 'there' or 'their'?" While I agree that, as college juniors and seniors, good grammar should be second nature to us, I think it's helpful to have something that you can refer back to when you question yourself. Even the best writer makes grammatical errors from time to time. I found that Rebecca, in her blog, agreed with me that Strunk and White's book is at least somewhat helpful. She started out her blog entry by saying, "Oddly, Strunk and White's Elements of Style addressed one of my biggest pet peeves in the very first couple of pages. I absolutely hate when anyone writes the contraction "it's" when they really mean the possessive "its." People do this all time. Smart people do it. Educated people do it. I believe it would occasionally be a good idea to "review" grammar rules.


No comments: